Solved: I used my Presto card on the go bus daily for work...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I used my Presto card on the go bus daily for work. There are no monthly passes available for this, but it caps at a certain amount. Can I use this to claim transit?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2

I used my Presto card on the go bus daily for work. There are no monthly passes available for this, but it caps at a certain amount. Can I use this to claim transit?

If you have a My PRESTO Account, you may be able to claim the cost of transit trips under the Federal Public Transit Tax Credit or Ontario Seniors Public Transit Tax Credit.

Your Transit Usage Report provides up-to-date information about your transit use with PRESTO card for your records and tax purposes. You can get your report at any time and use it to help calculate your Federal Public Transit Tax Credit or Ontario Seniors Public Transit Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 2

If you have a My PRESTO Account, you may be able to claim the cost of transit trips under the Federal Public Transit Tax Credit or Ontario Seniors Public Transit Tax Credit.

Your Transit Usage Report provides up-to-date information about your transit use with PRESTO card for your records and tax purposes. You can get your report at any time and use it to help calculate your Federal Public Transit Tax Credit or Ontario Seniors Public Transit Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Even though these are not monthly passes? I'm seeing contradicting posts on the website
Highlighted
Level 2

The information I provided came from: https://www.prestocard.ca/en/about/tax-credit

See also CRA site info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

Electronic payment cards if:
the card is used to make at least 32 one-way trips over a maximum of 31 consecutive days; and
the card is issued by a public transit authority that records and provides a receipt for the cost and usage of the card.
Highlighted

Great, thanks. My presto is also used for day to day TTC travel. Would I need to remove these costs from my claim then? And keep it purely to the GO bus charges?
Highlighted
Level 2

You should be able to claim all public transportation costs reflected in your Presto account.  Just keep in mind that this is the last year for a Federal Public Transit Tax Credit claim and you can only claim the costs incurred between Jan 1 and June 30, 2017.
Highlighted

Ok will do. And I just enter this amount under deductions - Total amount for public transit passes not included on your T4s? I can't find anywhere about the Federal Public Transit Tax Credit
Highlighted
Level 2

Correct.
v