Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to do my taxes for free

1 Reply

I want to do my taxes for free

Thank you for your question!

Can I file my taxes online for free?

In Canada, TurboTax makes it simple for anyone — with any tax situation — to file their taxes for free. These are just a few of the tax situations you could have and use TurboTax Free to file your taxes with the CRA:

• You’re working for an employer and/or are self employed
  • You’re a student looking to claim tuition, education, and textbook amounts
  • You were unemployed for part or all of 2020, including if you claimed CERB
  • Your tax situation was impacted by COVID-19, including if you had to work from homeand want to claim related expenses
  • You have dependants and want to ensure you claim all related credits and deductions
  • You’re retired and receive a pension
  • You have medical expenses to claim, including amounts related to COVID-19
  • It’s your first time filing your taxes in Canada

There are a few situations (like if it’s your first time filing your taxes in Canada) where you’ll need to print and mail your return instead of filing online using NETFILE. Don’t worry though, you can still enter all your tax info online and we’ll guide you through the process of mailing your return to the CRA.

How do I file my taxes online?

Filing your taxes with TurboTax Free is quick and easy. First you’ll be asked to set up a profile and follow a simple process to find all the credits and deductions you’re entitled to. With the CRA’s Auto-fill my return, you can also import your tax info directly from the CRA. This service pulls info from your income slips (T4s, T3s and T5s), government benefit slips, RRSP receipts, and unused tuition credits. All the relevant info will be populated from these forms into your tax return – saving you time and effort.

If you decide not to use CRA’s Auto-fill my return service, or if you have additional info to enter that isn’t captured through the import, you can find all the forms you need quickly and easily through TurboTax’s search feature.

You can also easily look for all the credits and deductions that apply to you using the search bar in TurboTax Free. If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a list of common credits, deductions, and expenses you may be eligible for:

Once you’ve entered all your info for the year and you’re ready to file, our software will guide you through the steps to NETFILE your return online or print and mail your return. We’ll also give you step-by-step instructions on how to pay the CRA if you owe taxes.

For more information please visit the TurboTax Blog.

Thank you, for further information please contact us by phone or via private message on Twitter or Facebook.