Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to install prior year Turbotax programs and view my prior year tax returns on a new computer. When I try to download a prior year program, it asks me to pay

11 Replies

I want to install prior year Turbotax programs and view my prior year tax returns on a new computer. When I try to download a prior year program, it asks me to pay

If you already have a Licence/Installation Key Code for TurboTax CD/Download, you can download the software here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/where-can-i-download-the-cd-...

LMM11

I appreciate this link. How would we find this without knowing the link?

On our website, the page that has the links to the current version of the software has a link to the FAQ that I posted above: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/software/install

WindorInc

I have the same issue as the original member. I want to install an incorporated turbo tax software on another PC so I can review past returns. I enter the key and get a message the key has been used. 

I want to review the return I have filed...not file a new return. How do I open a past return to do checks and balances with the return I need to file this yr?

Turbotax doesnt let you have 2 files open(on the same PC) at the same time...regardless of the tax year I am opening. 

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, which is the download version- yes you can open up more than one year at a time. If you use TurboTax Online- then no, as you can only sign into your account once and open one at a time.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

WindorInc

so, I am using a downloaded version of TurboTax Business Incorporated 2022, on a PC. When I open tax yr 2021, it wont let me open tax yr 2022.

I would like to be able to review my previous yrs tax return on my laptop, but if only available where the original software was loaded then so be it. You would think for $300, I should be able to access past files!

When you use the CD/download version of TurboTax, it saves your tax returns on your computer under .tt23 for the specific tax year. This means that in order to access those tax returns, you need to be on the same computer where you completed them. Alternatively, you can transfer the files to your laptop and open up the specific tax year software to access those returns. This way, you can open both TurboTax softwares on your laptop.

WindorInc

But I cant!

error message states key is invalid and ask for me to purchase another key. 

I believe that is what this whole thread is about...trying to review past yr returns while working on a current yr, or have the program installed on another PC.

So, I am opening the returns on the same computer the software was installed on. The software wont let me open 2 returns at the same time. I get asked to save the open return. I dont need to save it....I have already filed it to CRA!

I cant copy my returns and open them up on my lap top to review without loading the software, and then I am asked to purchase another key....

There has to be a solution.

If you are using TurboTax Online, unfortunately, you won't be able to open more than one at a time. 

However, if you're using TurboTax CD/Download and have completed your returns on that specific computer, you can open more than one year at a time. In case you have downloaded your software on only one computer, you can use the same license code to download it to another computer. After that, you will need to take your saved files (returns), save them to a USB key, or email them to yourself, and open them on the computer you want to use.