Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brenrik

I had a income doing work at our strata townhouse complex. Should I report this income as self-employment (I have a company) or should I enter it as casual labour.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had a income doing work at our strata townhouse complex. Should I report this income as self-employment (I have a company) or should I enter it as casual labour.

If it is a small amount of income paid to you personally, you can report it as other income.  If it is a significant amount of money paid to you personally, you would report it as self-employment income and use any expenses you have against it.  If you have a corporation, and it is paid to the company, you will report the income in the company.  You will either take wages or dividends from the company and report those on your personal tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If it is a small amount of income paid to you personally, you can report it as other income.  If it is a significant amount of money paid to you personally, you would report it as self-employment income and use any expenses you have against it.  If you have a corporation, and it is paid to the company, you will report the income in the company.  You will either take wages or dividends from the company and report those on your personal tax return.