Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is employment income earned in Singapore taxed by the CRA if I am still considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada?

I will be working in Singapore and would like to keep residential ties with Canada. I'm confused about the tax treaty between the two nations. Will income earned in Singapore be taxed by Canada even though there is a tax treaty between them?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is employment income earned in Singapore taxed by the CRA if I am still considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada?

If you are resident in Canada for tax purposes you must report the income as foreign income. The tax treaty prevents double taxation, but does not prevent taxation by your home country.  Any tax paid in Singapore will count against tax owing in Canada.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are resident in Canada for tax purposes you must report the income as foreign income. The tax treaty prevents double taxation, but does not prevent taxation by your home country.  Any tax paid in Singapore will count against tax owing in Canada.