Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is installation key the same thing as prepaid code? I am trying to file my return but it keeps telling me to enter a valid code. I did not use the cd to install it

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is installation key the same thing as prepaid code? I am trying to file my return but it keeps telling me to enter a valid code. I did not use the cd to install it

21 character Installation keys are only used for TurboTax CD/Download. TurboTax Online uses 11 character prepayment codes. The codes from TurboTax CD/Download will not work with TurboTax Online and vice-versa. If you have purchased the wrong product, you can request a refund for the product that you don't want: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647900

If you don't have a TurboTax Online prepayment code, you can click Continue on the bottom of the code entry window and then pay for your return with a credit card.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

21 character Installation keys are only used for TurboTax CD/Download. TurboTax Online uses 11 character prepayment codes. The codes from TurboTax CD/Download will not work with TurboTax Online and vice-versa. If you have purchased the wrong product, you can request a refund for the product that you don't want: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647900

If you don't have a TurboTax Online prepayment code, you can click Continue on the bottom of the code entry window and then pay for your return with a credit card.

I purchased the 2019 turbotax standard and the information states that I just need to download Turbotax and that I would use the installation code to complete the installation. Your information says I need an eleven-digit code. Now, what do I do?

Not according to the information on the package that I purchased. The accompanying sheet says that I can download Turbotax online and use the installation code on the back of the CD, which I did not use as I have no such drive.

rtmays

I purchased the tax package for 2019. But I completed the tax return online and did not install on a CD. How do I find the prepaid activation code ?

Are you aware which product you purchase? Was it TurboTax online or CD/download? To activate a CD/download you will need 21 character Installation keys or to activateTurboTax online requires 11 character prepayment codes.

If you purchased TurboTax online see instructions on how to access below:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/in-the-online-edition-of-tur...

Or, if you purchased CD/Download see instructions below:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/where-can-i-download-the-cd-...

shuffk15

The pamphlet inside the CD box clearly states "No CD drive? No problem" and gives 2 steps on how to use the online version. Step 1: Download TurboTax Step 2: Enter Key Code - You'll need your installation Key Code to complete your installation. The Installation Key Code is on the back of your CD sleeve. 

Your above responses are not in agreement with what your product packaging says. I purchased the CD in January, and have opened the package so can not return it. How do I go about getting the correct code to file online? (We had to upgrade our computer after Turbotax was purchased).