Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schoolot

How can I get turbo tax to recognize the amount on a T4a (line 48) as the self employment income that it is, so that I can fill out the proper T2125?

Turbo Tax insists that I complete the "Employment Expenses" T2125 form, but I am not employed. If I enter my self employment income in the Professional Business T2125 form, having entered the T4a it then doubles my income. How can I just deal with the proper T2125 I have always used that is appropriate, as I am not employed?

7 Replies

How can I get turbo tax to recognize the amount on a T4a (line 48) as the self employment income that it is, so that I can fill out the proper T2125?

Turbo send me your question. It looks like you're not getting any answer as well. Turbo support really sucks. anyhow I know the answer to your question so I will help.

Your income will not be duplicated. Don't worry. Just entered the self-employed income on the T4A form and that amount will be transferred by the software to T2125. You don't enter the amount again in T2125. Good luck.

schoolot

Unfortunately, I need to use the professional business format of the T2125, as I am self employed, but turbo tax will not recognize it without an income stated in the form. But, entering the income into the T4A form, it gives me the wrong T2125 form for employment income which is wrong. I also double checked this with cra. ... so here I sit. :(
schoolot

Thanks for trying. ... Am open to other ideas.

Entering your amount of line 48 of the T4A does generate the correct T2125 B1 form. The amount is entered correctly in Part 3A -Business Income. So you're fine. Which T2125 form are you expecting?
schoolot

Just tried it all over. Entering only line 048 only gives me form T777 for Employment income, not a T2125 ( my bad) - same diff by the wrong name. When I manually look at the T2125, the carry over line from the T4A is blank, so it won’t recognize that form.
schoolot

I shut it down, and it seems to have corrected itself ... here is hoping!

Good. Glad that your problem is fixed. Now, if you could only fix my problem 🙂 Still waiting for further response from Turbo. Sent them multiple emails already :(