Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpwagner

My daughter pays premiums into a Disability Income Program at her work. Where can I claim these premiums?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

My daughter pays premiums into a Disability Income Program at her work. Where can I claim these premiums?

Premiums paid for disability or wage loss replacement plans are not deductible unless you are receiving taxable amounts from the plan.  In this case, you can reduce the income received from the plan by the amount of premiums that you have paid.  ie)  You have never received any benefits from the plan.  However, in 2015 you received disability benefits of $20,000 from the plan. Over the course of your employment, you have paid premiums of $6,000 for this coverage.  You can deduct this $6,000 from the $20,000 and report the difference of $14,000 on you return.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/104/wglss-eng.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies
raversnet

My wife was on short term disability.  Her work told her to claim her Disability Plan Premiums on line 232 but I don't know how to enter this either.
fuzzy

Premiums paid for disability or wage loss replacement plans are not deductible unless you are receiving taxable amounts from the plan.  In this case, you can reduce the income received from the plan by the amount of premiums that you have paid.  ie)  You have never received any benefits from the plan.  However, in 2015 you received disability benefits of $20,000 from the plan. Over the course of your employment, you have paid premiums of $6,000 for this coverage.  You can deduct this $6,000 from the $20,000 and report the difference of $14,000 on you return.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/104/wglss-eng.html