Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjonger

My wife s T5007 is added to my T5007 income. Why ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Even though each of you may have received Provincial Assistance income separately or at separate times, Revenue Canada requires that the spouse with the higher net income (Line 236) will report all of these amounts on one tax return. This may create an increase of Spousal Deduction as a result. As other credits such as GST, Canada Child Benefit and some provincial refundable credits use the family income they are not affected by the combination of this income on one tax return. From CRA;

"However if you lived with your spouse or common-law partner when the payments were received, the one of you who has the higher net income on Line 236 – Net income (not including these payments or the deductions on Line 214 – Child care expenses or Line 235 – Social benefits repayment) has to report all of the payments, no matter whose name is on the slip."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Even though each of you may have received Provincial Assistance income separately or at separate times, Revenue Canada requires that the spouse with the higher net income (Line 236) will report all of these amounts on one tax return. This may create an increase of Spousal Deduction as a result. As other credits such as GST, Canada Child Benefit and some provincial refundable credits use the family income they are not affected by the combination of this income on one tax return. From CRA;

"However if you lived with your spouse or common-law partner when the payments were received, the one of you who has the higher net income on Line 236 – Net income (not including these payments or the deductions on Line 214 – Child care expenses or Line 235 – Social benefits repayment) has to report all of the payments, no matter whose name is on the slip."

basir1991
Returning Member

1) My husband and I have two separate T5007. I've entered my T5007 on my tax return. In addition, I entered the amount on my tax return from my spouse's T5007. However, once I do that then my total net income is zero as it does not recognize my T5007 for on the summary but I see the form there with the amount. Turbo tax give me an error saying there is no income for me but in reality there is net income from T5007. Why? What should I do?

2) Based on your solution in this post, I've entered two T5007 (one for my husband and one separate for myself) under income section. Then when Turbo tax asked me for my husbands income (from T5007) I've entered that as zero and as a result it won't let me proceed as there needs to be income for my husband under "Information about your spouse or common-law partner". I will be preparing another return for him as well with his T5007. However, I'm not sure about the error above?