• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjgoldring

Are OSAP grants considered taxable income?

My two son's received OSAP grants - one significantly more than the other.  The higher recipient has received 2 T4As (provincial and federal) for what I assume is the grant portion of the OSAP advance and through the CRA auto-fill is populating the other income field (~$6500) therefore increasing his income and resulting in a tax owing position.  My other son had a T4A but the auto-fill did not populate the other income field (~$400) and therefore is not reflected in his total earnings.  I'm confused why they seem to be populating differently AND I thought that while a full-time student there was no repayment on loans and grants did not count as taxable.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxJennifer

If your son was a full-time student, it may be just an issue with which box the T4A income is being assigned during the Auto-fill. To correct this, return to the T4A screen for the higher income and move the entry for box 105 to the spot for FT students.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TurboTaxJennifer

If your son was a full-time student, it may be just an issue with which box the T4A income is being assigned during the Auto-fill. To correct this, return to the T4A screen for the higher income and move the entry for box 105 to the spot for FT students.

Surajth
Level 6

What should I do with my OSAP grant (box 105 on a T4A)?

Report OSAP grants (box 105 on a T4A) as scholarship income (part- or full-time, depending on the situation). These grants are different from student loans.

You can still claim the scholarship exemption (select "scholarship income") even if you received this amount in the year after you stopped being a full-time student.

It may just be a matter of which box the T4A income is assigned during the Auto-fill process if your son was a full-time student. To fix this, go back to the T4A screen for higher-income students, and move box 105 from the spot for FT students to the box for higher-income students.

If you require further assistance, please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.46m
Members

2.57m
Discussions

v