Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dubh407

Being asked to pay for "Communal Income" and self Employed. They don't apply so how do I satrt over ?

we are retirees with basic pension income. Why am I having to pay $200 for self employed ??
2 Replies

Being asked to pay for "Communal Income" and self Employed. They don't apply so how do I satrt over ?

Do you have a T3 slip on your return? If so, please make sure that there is no amount in the box labeled “Amount of communal income reported in box 26”. To get to the T3 slip page in TurboTax Online, please do the following:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the top right
  2. In the Find window, type in “T3” and then choose “T3 Mutual Fund/Trust Allocations and Designations” from the list. Then click “Go”.
  3. On the “T3 Summary” page, click “Edit” next to the slip you want to edit.
  4. Make your changes, then click “Continue” to save them.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Box 26 – Other income include amounts such as the following:

• death benefits
  • retiring allowances
  • pension income other than lump-sum pension benefits already included in box 22
  • net rental income
  • net business, farming, and fishing income
  • interest income

This Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page has more information on the T3 slip boxes: Box instructions – T3 slip

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

dubh407

NO it did not help.  I said I had NO self employed income and wanted to know how to start all over.
The answer was all about what to do with a T3 form which I did not have because there was no self employed income.  There was nothing about going back to start over and it was too late to be effective anyway.
In the end, i shut down Turbo tax due to lack of help and went elsewhere.  If my card has been billed for this, I will be VERY upset.

Robert Allan