Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I go back to the TurboTax Free after updating the package to Deluxe?

I am filing my parents' tax income return, and I like to add the medical expenses section (under Deluxe package) - but I am not sure if it is worth it as they will have to pay almost 40 dollars for the package.
2 Replies

Unfortunately, once you have upgraded from the free version, it is not possible to revert back to it. If you wish to use the free version, you will need to start filing your return from the beginning.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade a TurboTax product once you have upgraded it.  You would need to create a new return and choose a lower version. You can use any version to prepare all returns, if you start with the Free version then feel you would like more guidance, you can always upgrade and your information will carry over to the upgraded version. 

Once you have started your new return, you can click on "View all tax returns"  and click the small Trash Can next to the unwanted return to delete it. In the Deluxe version, along with the medical expenses you can claim donations, searches 400+ deductions and credits and get on-demand customer care via phone and one-way video. For more information, please see our TurboTax webpage: TurboTax Online.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.