Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form T777S detailed method is not working

The flat rate method works. However, the detailed method doesn't. The system does not recognize the number in line 12 in the detailed method. After adding the number, there is no change in the tax refund. When going to the final review, the employment expenses do not show up. Does anyone have the same problem? How to resolve it?

6 Replies

I got the same issue.  Did you find a way to resolve it?

No, haven’t get any reply from Turbo Tax...

I just found the answer here: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/self-employed/discussion/working-from-home-due-to-cov...

Have to edit the T4 slips at the end to choose YES when asking the claiming option. Then the expense deductible shows. 

Thank you so much!  I’ll try it tomorrow!

I cannot find the claiming option box on my T4 slip, Could you please let me know where that box is?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, I found it! Thank you!

Qq7_3456

The defect described below in Turbotax resulted in LINE 12 being $ 5,373.08 instead of the correct $ 620 resulting in an incorrect additional $ 1,200 refund - that is,  the government paid an additional $ 1,200 too much to the taxpayer.

There is a defect (glitch) in the PREMIER edition of Turbotax software sold in Canada when using the detailed method of calculating the covid employment expense in FORM T777S in LINE 12.  The defect is that TurboTax calculates the LINE 12 Amount, but, that is wrong, as the calculated amount must be done by the taxpayer and not by TurboTax software. The taxpayer then enters the taxpayer's calculated amount in LINE 12. The taxpayer calculates the Amount in LINE 12  using the government's method shown in the example at the bottom of page 2 of FORM T777S. That method partly uses the number of hours worked at home and no where in the software does it ask for that number. That number is taken into account by the method at the bottom of page 2 of FORM T777S. My point is that an ENTERED amount is not known to Turbotax, such as a person's work pension or marital status. LINE 12 is not known to Turbotax as it includes the number of hours worked per week at home and that varies among taxpayers. The defect can be avoided by using the government taxpayer's method of calculating LINE 12 Amount as shown in the bottom of page 2 of FORM T777S.