Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should zeros be displayed on the return?

I have completed the return but it is not showing zeros for the refund or amount owing

5 Replies

Have you printed out your return to mail to the CRA? If you don't have tax owing or a refund due, then there will be no amounts on the bottom of the last page. It will be blank, no zeros.

The logic escapes me. The forms submitted in the past always showed the zeroes right to the last line. The form has all the zeroes in place when I view the completed form on my laptop screen and yet when I print it off the zeroes are missing. I have been extremely satisfied with TurboTax for many years and I was always impressed with the finished product. This small issue should be corrected rather than telling the customer that this is the way the program works (really?!). It looks unprofessional, shoddy and unfinished. Not a big deal but something that is easily fixed, thereby reflecting the high quality product offered by TurboTax. If there was sound logic offered for this I would gladly accept it but there is none. Thank you.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

When filing a tax return with zero entries, some lines/ questions should show the zero amount such as the spousal income, the dependant income, income reported on forms such as T2125, T777, GST returns, etc. Some entries can be left blank instead of entering zero numbers. Since CRA requires the condensed forms to be mailed instead of the full forms, there is no need to print the full return with zero entries.

I hope this was helpful

With all due respect, I don't need to be told that the TurboTax T1 General Form, when printed, does not show the zeroes on the last page and a half because CRA doesn't require the zeroes. Rather, I think TurboTax should fix this issue. Period. The zeroes show up on the screen and therefore wouldn't it make sense to have the zeroes present when the form is printed. I am preparing this return for a deceased person and I will be sending the final, printed copy to the Executor for signing and submission. Currently, the printed version looks incomplete and the Executor will surely assume that I didn't finish the return. This issue is too small to talk about rather than just having it fixed so the screen version and the printed version are identical. Lets move beyond rationalization of this shortcoming to fixing it.

I must admit that this surprised and confused me as well.  Is it a requirement of  the CRA's standard/specification for some of the forms printed by tax software that certain zero fields must be left blank?  Or do the developers of TurboTax have a choice in the matter?