Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am no longer self employed why does it say i am?

3 Replies

If you transferred last year's tax information into these years, then it will show it. 

If you have entered an amount from any of the boxes on the slips listed below, you have what the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) says is self-employment or business income.

• T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
  • T4A slip: box 20 or 48
  • T4A slip: box 28 and you selected yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in the online edition of TurboTax
  • T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)

If you entered an amount in any of these boxes, TurboTax will ask you additional questions in order to report it as business income or to automatically add the information to a Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities for you. You might be asked to enter your province of self-employment, your business address, your industry code, your fiscal period or to complete a self-employment statement.

rwjtlj

I was able to receive assistance on this from customer service.  It should be noted that under T4 that if box 20 is filled out as well, this error comes up and shows that you are self employed with income, even though you are not.  The solution was to fill in your employers province, as well as address and then it allows you to submit your taxes through CRA.  

We are happy to see you received the help required. Thank you for sharing with others. Your help and input are very much appreciated.

Thank you for using TurboTax.