Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm installing Turbo Tax 2020 and my Avast virus program is telling me the Turbo Tax Installer is infected with IDP.Generic. Has anyone else encountered this?

6 Replies

I'm installing Turbo Tax 2020 and my Avast virus program is telling me the Turbo Tax Installer is infected with IDP.Generic. Has anyone else encountered this?

We are sorry to see this issue happening.  In order to help you with this situation, I believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. Once you go through the steps and complete the form, the phone number to speak to a TurboTax agent will appear on the page. If the agent cannot resolve your issue please make sure you tell them you want to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Thank you for your patience. 

nbsteve
Returning Member

I am receiving the same error when installing TurboTax 2020 from the CD.  I tried setting an exception in Avast for the folder containing TurboTax 2020 and reinstalled.  No change in behaviour:  TT2020 asks for the license code, I enter it, it says "You're all set" but nothing happens, and the window closes. 

frank5847
Returning Member

Experiencing the same problem with the setup.exe file infected. Contacted first line support and was asked to turn off my avast anti virus... really ??? is that Intuit security posture for preventing malware infection ?

Was this installation procedure tested in their lab before releasing it to general public ?

Next level of support did not follow-up on this matter. Customer service approach feel like it is their last priority.

Doc_Nyr

I have the same issue. I installed turbotax after disabling Avast. It worked fine. 

Then when I enable Avast, Turbotax will not open.

This is SICK!!!!

Intuit - WAKE UP AND FIX THIS ISSUE!!!

We are sorry to see you had this problem. We are aware of this issue and are happy to report the issue has been resolved. Please update your TurboTax software to correct the aforementioned issue. Please update your AntiVirus definition list as this will allow TurboTax to run now.

Thank you for your patience.

Doc_Nyr

NO, you are wrong.

It has not been fixed.

I disabled Avast, started Turbotax2020 and tried to update it.

It stated that I have the latest updates (Turbotax Premier). 

I re-enabled Avast, and tried to start Turbotax and I cannot. 

A windows dialog box appears that states: 

TurboTax.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000e5).
Click OK to close the application

You really need to provide a solution to fix this issue.

Thanks!!!!!!!