Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am filing my 2019 taxes and I dont have my exes info ,,how do I continue ?

1 Reply

If I am filing my 2019 taxes and I dont have my exes info ,,how do I continue ?

If your marital status changed from married or common-law to separated or divorced during the tax year: You’re still required to enter some information about your former spouse to complete your return and assess your eligibility for certain credits. The change may not affect your bottom line, but it’s required to complete your return.

Important: If you don’t have any information about your ex, do not enter your exes income (or an estimate), it’s important that you do not claim the Spousal Amount.

To avoid claiming the Spousal Amount, complete the following instructions:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon).
    2. Enter information in the Find window.
    3. Select Information About Your Spouse or Common-Law Partner from the list of results, and then select Go.

The Now, let’s get [name’s] information step appears.

1. Fill out the form in TurboTax.
    2. Select Continue.

The Tell us more about [name] step appears.

1. Complete the following instructions that match your situation:
      • If your spouse’s net income is more than $1, select No where it says Was [name’s] net income for 20xx zero? Then enter $25,000 where it says Net income from [name]’s 20xx federal tax return.
      • If your spouse’s net income is $1 or less, select Yes where it says Was [name’s] net income for 20xx zero?

Note: Entering $25,000 won’t affect the outcome of your return; it simply makes you ineligible for the Spousal Amount.

1. Select No where it says Are you claiming the spousal amount?
  2. Fill out the rest of the form in TurboTax.
  3. Select Continue.

If you didn’t separate or get divorced during the tax year: Complete the following instructions and TurboTax won’t ask you questions about your spouse.

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon).
  2. Enter marital status in the Find window.
  3. Select Marital Status from the list of results, and then select Go.
  4. Select the answer to On December 31, 20xx, you were (where 20xx is the tax year).
  5. Select No where it says Did you separate from your spouse/partner in 20xx? (where 20xx is the tax year).
  6. Select Continue.

For more information, please see:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us