Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in cost substantial for 'upgrade' and does not credit me for what I paid at Costco

Last year I paid $30 (Costco activation code) for two tax returns (I filed as a couple).  This year, I have the same tax situation and TurboTax is asking for an additional $70 (plus tax).  The cost has changed from $30 to $100 (plus 13% tax)  for the same service (actually it is inferior to last year's version for a few notable reasons). 

Is it possible to choose the inexpensive version for myself as I have no income and then choose the appropriate version for my spouse and still file together?  Why does it force me to pay the most expensive version twice???  

Can Turbo Tax offer me a discount?

BMP

Perhaps you need to hire me to work on your pricing.

Also, you should lobby the Federal Government to deduct the full cost of Turbo Tax of our income taxes.

6 Replies
steve-hm

Increase in cost substantial for 'upgrade' and does not credit me for what I paid at Costco

I have a similar issue, and no solution.  

I have been using TurboTax for many years.  I would regularly buy the software on CD and I could run it multiple times and do up to 8 tax returns on it for my family - all for a single price of about $40-$50.

This year I chose to try the on-line version, assuming it would be cheaper since the costs to Intuit are reduced (no need to make and ship media).  I was wrong.  For the same price as all 6 returns I did last year, I did 1 return.  Each additional return cost the same and then one was $45.  All together I spent way more than double for something I could do for $50 last year.  

I have the same situation in that my spousal returns each cost me what I paid for everything last year.  The tax situations are relatively simple with a minimal amount of 'extras' yet I had to jump up to Premier Self-Employed (I am not) because of a simple investment portfolio.  

I will be going back to downloaded software next year, and may consider not using Turbo-Tax for the first time in over twenty years.

I'm hoping Inuit will change this for next tax season.  I researched other solutions, however, they bring you in with the 'free' return, then after spending time filling out forms a message reads it will cost you $45 and up per return. We used to call this Bait and Switch in marketing.

I have several questions.

None related to this post.

Why did Intuit deliberately make it so difficult for users to make posts?

Years ago I used to log in and simply ask a question.
Now after 5 minutes of navigating, I could not find any place where it allowed

me to ask a question.

I have questions about what products can fill my needs.
I don't know where or HOW to ask my questions!

@Mark4444 To create your own thread:

1. click on "Discuss" at the top of the page
  2. click on a topic
  3. click on sub-topic
  4. click on "Ask A Question" next to the search bar

Susan I continue to be frustrated with this site!

I followed your instructions and was never given the 'Ask a Question' option.

I logged in. NO DICE.

If you are not able to use the forum, you can ask your question by calling our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

You can also message us on social media.

We are on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/TurboTaxCanada

We are on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/messages/19496097-385034351