Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how I can get TURBOTAX PREMIER - 3 RETURNS only? I do not need 12 returns!

I want to use TurboTax as I was using it for over 20 years now! Many things changed, and prices went up!

I need 3 returns. Why do I need to pay $82.99 for 12 returns? I don't need 12 returns. I only need 3 returns.

When I go to grocery store and I need 1 loaf of bread, I don't have to buy 4 loafs of bred, when I need 1.

It really feels like scam. Forced sale. No choice. Forcing me to buy something I won't use to get more profit!

And this "can be installed on 3 computers" directly suggests that I need to find 2 friends and split cost by 3!

I understand that $82.99/12=$7 maybe not something you like. So double single return - $15! Double price!

But forcing to pay almost $100 for something that average family won't need is scam! Should report to BBB!

Do you have something to say? How you justify this? Want's more money by playing unfair game? Tell me!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome have a great week! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

TurboTax CD/Download Premier has included 12 returns since at least 2015. Even our cheapest CD/Download product, Basic, comes with 4 returns. If you don't want to use CD/Download Premier, then you can always use Basic or Standard, which are cheaper. They have the same forms as Premier; they just don't include the added guidance for things like investments.

Or you can use TurboTax Premier Online, which is $34.99 (plus tax) per return, though if you do 3 returns, it will end up being more expensive than what you would have paid for TurboTax CD/Download Premier.

Well, exactly. 3 returns online will end up more than $100. $35x3=$105. Which is even more expensive than 12 returns. Well, I understand this. Interesting enough, that last year I was able to use Premium for free. Or maybe rental income option was included in basic edition. Hmmm...

In my case return is pretty simple - T4, RRSP and rental income. Which is negative due to high interest rates (prime rate went up through the roof, and another hike is expected soon). So either I need to enter rental income and expenses (form based), or just report "Other Income" in free-form field. Both options triggers to switch from Basic "free" return to whopping $35 per return, just because of 1 field need to be claimed.

Oh well. Will see what can be done. I just don't feel like paying $100 every year is fair price, just because of one field that needs to be included...

Basic & Free are two different products. TurboTax CD/Download Basic is not free, but you can use it if you have rental income. 

TurboTax Online Free is free to use, but only for simple tax returns. That doesn't include rental income. You would need to use Premier or higher if you were to use TurboTax Online. 

Either way,  you can claim the cost of TurboTax as a rental expense. 

ARE YOU TOTALLY SURE?

According to this: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/software/download

Only Premier version has "rental property income and expenses".

What if I buy and it is not there? Can you please check and confirm?

TurboTax.jpg

Only TurboTax CD/Download Premier and Home & Business provide *Guidance* on investment income and expenses, and rental property income and expenses. The forms still exist in Basic and Standard, you just don’t get the part of the interview that deals with rental and investment income. You just have to know how to fill out the forms yourself.

Oh, OK, this is interesting. And I guess this is not a big issue. Anyone who does taxes, supposed to know "some basic stuff" anyway. Besides, Ontario Government has a form that needs to be filled up for each landlord and each rental property anyway (recommended) so it can be used to calculate all the numbers so they can be inserted into TurboTax.

One more question (if you don't mind): I presume that CD/Download version of TurboTax can pull the data (i.e. T-forms) automatically from CRA just like online version - can you please confirm that? I like this feature as I can make no mistakes and cannot miss any Income - if the CRA knows about it, it will be reported 100% accurately.

Thanks!

Yes, both TurboTax Online and TurboTax CD/Download offer - the CRA Auto-Fill of your T-Slips.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Sounds good - thank you!

You're welcome have a great week!