Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DG11

What is box 20 for on T4?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Box 20 reports the amount of pension contributions and /or past service contributions through the workplace.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Box 20 reports the amount of pension contributions and /or past service contributions through the workplace.

So if an amount is reported there, then this qualifies as PRPP?
Murphy4
Returning Member

On the T-4 below the box's is a note "(20) Past Service" and an a $ amount.  I am assuming the amount is included in the total of Box 20 above.  Where to you enter the amount from the note on the tax return?  The quick step process does not mention anything about it.  I am assuming it is required to adjust the RRSP  deduction limit for the next tax year as well as to calculate past service pension deductions.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you have Past Service Contributions, it can be reported in different ways:

You either have a  T4 with an amount in Box 74 and this amount is already included in Box 20 --> so you enter both amounts in your T-slip information

Or you have a letter and the Pension contribution is not reported on a T-slip: 

• using the TurboTax Online --> use "Find" on the top bar --> search for "Registered Pension Plan" -->  check the box under the contributor name and continue to the next page--> fill in the correct boxes

• If you are using TurboTax CD/Desktop: --> got to "FInd" on the top bar --> search for " Registered Pension Plan" --> Check the box beside "I made Registered Pension Plan Contribution for the current and past services" under the contributor name --> From the right menu, open the RRSP profile, go to the "Registered Pension Plan" --> enter your information 

I hope this was helpful