Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

What versions to use? Married couple - one with simple taxes, the other self-employed & with a T4

Hi, I have simple taxes (although this year I have to include what I paid back for the HBP program), but my husband is self-employed and his taxes are more complex (plus he has a T4 for a second job of his).

I'm just wondering what versions we should be choosing. Do we each need a different version, or do we choose one and both use it? We have never used TurboTax before. Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What versions to use? Married couple - one with simple taxes, the other self-employed & with a T4

You can use any version to prepare your tax return with Self-Employed income, even Free! When you prepare your tax returns together though, if one spouse is filing using the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online, the other spouse's return is added on to that version of TurboTax and charged the same amount.

You can always do a "test drive" and start with a lower version, then if you would like more guidance, you can upgrade and your information will carry over to the upgraded version. Just remember you cannot "downgrade" back to the lower version.  

Here's a link to the complete TurboTax line-up: https://bit.ly/2kmewB8

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can use any version to prepare your tax return with Self-Employed income, even Free! When you prepare your tax returns together though, if one spouse is filing using the Self-Employed version of TurboTax Online, the other spouse's return is added on to that version of TurboTax and charged the same amount.

You can always do a "test drive" and start with a lower version, then if you would like more guidance, you can upgrade and your information will carry over to the upgraded version. Just remember you cannot "downgrade" back to the lower version.  

Here's a link to the complete TurboTax line-up: https://bit.ly/2kmewB8

This is very helpful - thank you!