Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meth1201

Will I be charged the $19.99 per standard return when I already paid $35 for the package at the store?

1 Reply

Will I be charged the $19.99 per standard return when I already paid $35 for the package at the store?

If you have purchased the "Standard" edition from a retailer and you have a card with an activation code, which will be 11 digits for the online version and 21 digits for the downloaded version. This card may allow you to do up to 8 returns. The card will indicate if it's online or download. 

So let me explain.

Online version - "Standard" (possibly 8 pack) - Log in or Register for an online account, you do not need to download anything to your computer.

Start your tax return. Once you have completed your tax return, at the payment screen, you will be asked if you have an activation/prepayment code, this is where you will enter the 11 digit code provided with your purchase.

A few things to keep in mind while using this 8 pack Standard online code: 

• All 8 tax returns must be completed in the same online account, otherwise, the code will not work. 
  • Standard Edition only: Do not accept any upgrades while doing your tax return, as this will create a surcharge at the end, on the payment screen. 

If you have the downloaded version, you will download the software (select - Standard edition) and then enter the 21 digit Installation Key Code (IKC) provided with your purchase when prompted. To access this downloaded version, you will have to open the software from your computer -usually saves on your desktop. You do not need to go online.

Footnote: We at TurboTax want to encourage you and your close family to take all necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Please review the articles provided below for more information during these difficult times: