Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert26

I bought a drafting software license that I will use in my business. Where can I input the price of the software so I can claim in on my Tax return? Thanks.

2 Replies

I bought a drafting software license that I will use in my business. Where can I input the price of the software so I can claim in on my Tax return? Thanks.

You can put your (non-system) software license into a Class 12(100%) and take CCA (capital cost allowance) on it. Software in Class 12 is subject to the half‑year rule, so you can write it off over a couple years instead of just one. You can also choose not to take the CCA for a given year, so the amount would remain in your UCC (Undepreciated capital cost) balance until you decide to use it.

More information on CCA from the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/sole-proprietorships-partners...

robert26

Can I claim the software amount/price every year or just 1 year? Thanks.