Solved: T4 boxes number 83 & 84. Do we enter our publ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

T4 boxes number 83 & 84. Do we enter our public transit totals and hair care totals here?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

T4 boxes number 83 & 84. Do we enter our public transit totals and hair care totals here?

Box 83 is used to report your gross income if you are a hairdresser.
Box 84 is used to report the cost of transit passes purchased by an employer and incuded in your income.

Do not use either of these boxes unless there are amounts reported in them on your T4s.

Otherwise report Public Transit amounts under Transit credit, which then flows to line 364 on your schedule 1.

If you are eligible to claim hair care expenses by reason of self employment or contracted employment, claim these expenses on your T2125.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Box 83 is used to report your gross income if you are a hairdresser.
Box 84 is used to report the cost of transit passes purchased by an employer and incuded in your income.

Do not use either of these boxes unless there are amounts reported in them on your T4s.

Otherwise report Public Transit amounts under Transit credit, which then flows to line 364 on your schedule 1.

If you are eligible to claim hair care expenses by reason of self employment or contracted employment, claim these expenses on your T2125.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You might find the below link useful

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/1980307

Highlighted

Kashmira, as a CVITP volunteer myself, I found your comments interesting. I read this question literally, trying to steer the taxpayer toward claiming credits and expenses, as opposed to the right way of reporting income.

However I too have have moved income, from contract employment agencies that report in box 85 rather than box 14.
Box 85 also throws an inappropriate T2125 for a person who performed as an employee.

In Brampton there are numerous agencies, ranging down from the global biggies.
Most now report in box 14 but it wasn't always so. I often have taxpayers reporting precarious employment on multiple T4s. In the event of seeing a box 85, I ask the taxpayer to differentiate their situation at that job. They always cannot, and I then report in box 14. I leave CRA and the agency to argue as necessary.
I believe CRA definition of employment as it affects agencies needs to be clarified.
v