Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I didn't work this year but I received income (ad revenue generated from Youtube). So do I report this income as self-employed or as other income ?

Hi, I am full time student and still dependent. I didn't work this year but I received income (ad revenue generated from Youtube). 

So do I report this income as self-employed or as other income ? 

I read TurboTax tax preperation tips for self-employed canadians and it says that "according to the Canada Revenue Agency, if you provide a service or a product with an expectation of profit, you are considered self-employed".

I don't own a business so I think it falls under the category of other income...

I want a tax expert to help me please.

2 Replies

Hi, I didn't work this year but I received income (ad revenue generated from Youtube). So do I report this income as self-employed or as other income ?

If the income you received from YouTube is under $3,500 (CAD) then you can report it as "other income"

• Go to the Income Tab > Other Income Sources > Income not reported on a T-Slip.
  • Check the box - Received tips, gratuities, occasional earnings, or other employment income.
  • Continue to the page "Other Employment Income Sources" and make your entry.

If your occasional earnings exceed $3,500 gross, CRA requires you to report this a "Self-Employed" earnings on a T2125 Statement of Business Activities. You will be required to pay CPP contributions on any net amount (after expenses) that is over the $3,500 threshold. You will then need to navigate to the Self-Employment section of TurboTax and report this as an "Other type of Business".

Thank you @TurboTaxKim for replying!  
Ok so how do I fill T2125 Business Identification and the other parts of this form if I am a Youtuber?