Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paddym

Urbo tax is saying that I have self employment income and asking for the province that my business is in. I am not self employed and hence cannot netfile

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Urbo tax is saying that I have self employment income and asking for the province that my business is in. I am not self employed and hence cannot netfile

The CRA considers amounts in Box 24 of the T3 as business income and those amounts are transferred over to Line 135 of the T1 General Tax Return.

If you entered a T3 slip in your return with an amount in Box 24, you must specify the province of Self-Employment even though you do not have a business. You can click "Fix" and "Applies to Me" on this error message, then enter your own province of residence as the province of self employment.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The CRA considers amounts in Box 24 of the T3 as business income and those amounts are transferred over to Line 135 of the T1 General Tax Return.

If you entered a T3 slip in your return with an amount in Box 24, you must specify the province of Self-Employment even though you do not have a business. You can click "Fix" and "Applies to Me" on this error message, then enter your own province of residence as the province of self employment.

The CRA considers amounts in box 20 and box 48 of the T4A slip as self-employment/business income.

If you entered a T4A slip in your return with amounts in box 20 or box 48, you must complete a Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities. Only minimal entries are required; the business name can be your name and the business address can be your home address.

You'll need to "edit" the Business Statement where your T4A income is transferred to. To do so go to: Income & Expenses > Self-Employment. Depending on which box number was entered from the T4A, "Commission Income" or "Business Income" should appear here. You can then click on the "Summary" and choose to edit that particular T2125.

paddym

Thx KIm... no box 20 or 48 on my T4A only boxes 16 and 22. Any other suggestions?

Do you have a T3 with a Box 24 perhaps?
paddym

Hey Kim yes I do... what now?
fwil46

In my case, I do not have entries in box 20 or 48 on either T4A. How do I address the problem to 'fix' my self-employment address that appears discrepant from my residence address. I am not self-employed. Help please.