Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to use MAC online PREMIER version.Using PC download version in parallel and getting different answers..by a lot?

Pension splitting is several thousand dollars different than PC version (which I can manually verify), exchange rates are disappearing and some USA pension income is not being included in totals. Is a corrected version on the way?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Trying to use MAC online PREMIER version.Using PC download version in parallel and getting different answers..by a lot?

There is a bug with currency rates displayed in the on-line version of Turbotax. No news on a fix at this stage.

A workaround (which I've personally used) is to convert all your foreign income to CAD offline,
assumin this has not already been done by the pension provider. Then in Foreign Income page,
enter a currency rate of 1.0000 Don't be surprised to see this flip to display .00001

Check to ensure that the correct amount of Foreign Income has been carried into your return by examined your income summary and detailed summary, the latter under the Review Step.
Do this check with your Pension Split amount zeroed out to avoid confusion.
When you have done this check, and verified results, you can re-instate your pension split.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There is a bug with currency rates displayed in the on-line version of Turbotax. No news on a fix at this stage.

A workaround (which I've personally used) is to convert all your foreign income to CAD offline,
assumin this has not already been done by the pension provider. Then in Foreign Income page,
enter a currency rate of 1.0000 Don't be surprised to see this flip to display .00001

Check to ensure that the correct amount of Foreign Income has been carried into your return by examined your income summary and detailed summary, the latter under the Review Step.
Do this check with your Pension Split amount zeroed out to avoid confusion.
When you have done this check, and verified results, you can re-instate your pension split.

Thanks TonyC

Yup, did those things. Seems to solve the currency exchange problem (which may exist in the PC download version too because it happened there as well..not positive but people should be careful).

Doesn't solve the Total Income and Pension Splitting issue. MAC Version Pension Split $26,000 and PC Version $43,000..big tax payable effect and PC version is correct. Same data input same way!

I am raising this to warn users to be very careful with the MAC Online version particularly and hope that Intuit..or whoever..gets it fixed fast.

I did p ensign splitting with on-line this year and it seems to be working. Did separate not joint preparation. Thx for your insight. Please give me a helpful!

Pension splitting