Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jen00000

Trying to pay in full my Home Buyers Plan. On phone with Turbo tax they said you can only pay the minimum which is not true. Any idea how to get online program to work

On phone and two people have no clue how to get around this. The 1st admitted they did not know and kept me on the line for 20 minutes for another person said you are only allowed to pay back the minimum which is untrue. Then claimed I had no RRSP. I shared my screen and showed them the RRSP as I am using the online tax return. I have limited cell minutes per month so the call is going to cost me a lot. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they put me on hold and after a few minutes of waiting they disconnected the phone. I can't file it says error. Anyone know of a work around they have already taken my money and no will get back to me.

1 Reply

Trying to pay in full my Home Buyers Plan. On phone with Turbo tax they said you can only pay the minimum which is not true. Any idea how to get online program to work

I'm sorry that your experience was less than stellar.  Yes, you can designate more than your required minimum payment.  First, click on Find in the top right-hand corner, type RRSP profile, select it and click Go.  Put a checkmark next to, "Made RRSP contributions during 2018 or the first 60 days of 2019" and click on Continue.  Enter your RRSP deduction limit and click on Continue.  Next click on Find again and type in home buyers plan, select it and click Continue.  Put a checkmark next to, "Designate an amount as a Home Buyers' Plan repayment" and click on Continue.  Enter your remaining balance, enter your minimum required payment, and enter how much you would like to designate.  As long as you have made enough contributions to claim a higher repayment rate, you should not have any issues.