Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax is telling me i have to upgrade. Why? Nothing is different from last year and the lock symbol did not appear by any of the options i selected. I was hoping to downgrade from deluxe back to standard. TT wants me upgrade to Premier. Ugh

22 Replies

Turbotax is telling me i have to upgrade. Why? Nothing is different from last year and the lock symbol did not appear by any of the options i selected. I was hoping to downgrade from deluxe back to standard. TT wants me upgrade to Premier. Ugh

There have been changes made to TurboTax Online. Please see these TurboTax FAQs for more information:

Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

Who can file for free using TurboTax?

When I compare the Deluxe and Premier products, the comparison indicates that Deluxe will meet my needs.  I still don't get why I'm being told to upgrade to Premier.

Premier includes the ability to add investment income and expenses, and rental property income and expenses to your return. This includes things like bank interest, stocks, bonds, dividends, mutual funds, capital gains, etc...

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

I am using Turbotax Deluxe online which includes 8 returns. It is telling me I need to upgrade to the Premier online version due to reporting of capital gains.  I assume there will be an extra cost but I can't seem to determine what that extra cost will be. How can I find that out? Thanks

Thank you.  Since none of those apply to my situation, I will be calling support.

to MEL99

I would suggest you google the turbotax online products comparison to find the prices of each product.

@MEL99 If you have the TurboTax Deluxe 8 return package, then you have prepaid for 8 returns @ $19.99. So if you upgrade a return to Premier, you will only have to pay the difference of $15 (plus tax). If you upgrade a return that has both you and your spouse, then both of you will be upgraded.

So, here's the resolution:

TurboTax Support Phone line said that Turbo Tax has downgraded the Deluxe product by transferring T3 and T5's to Premier for the 2021 tax year. This means that anyone with T3s and T5s will have to pay an extra 75% cost to upgrade to Premier. Wow!  Way more than inflation increases. What is Turbotax thinking???????

In my case, I don't have T3s or T5s. So why was Turbotax requiring an upgrade?

It seems that since I did indeed have T3s and T5s a few years ago, they are linked to my account. Ugh!

I have already started my taxes, including carrying forward my info. I have two choices:

1. Accept the upgrade to Premier and the additional cost, which, by the way, commits me to using Premier going forward.

2. Start a new return inside my same account, using Deluxe, at the regular price.  This means inputting all sorts of info again. Ugh.

Either way, I feel this was a huge cash grab way above inflation - I call it PRICE GOUGING!

Just got off the phone with TurboTax Support.  They confirmed that they are charging more for the same services (example T3)  that used to be included in the basic (now called deluxe) version.    So yes, we have to upgrade to enter T3.

Would have been nice if these changes were explained before entering most of my income tax data.   This is called "bait and switch" in the sales business.