Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax is telling me i have to upgrade. Why? Nothing is different from last year and the lock symbol did not appear by any of the options i selected. I was hoping to downgrade from deluxe back to standard. TT wants me upgrade to Premier. Ugh

Yes, pretty disappointing that's for sure. I will be looking at alternatives next year. 

Turbotax is telling me i have to upgrade. Why? Nothing is different from last year and the lock symbol did not appear by any of the options i selected. I was hoping to downgrade from deluxe back to standard. TT wants me upgrade to Premier. Ugh

Yup, bait and switch. Slimy unethical business practice. 

Bryji1

This was driving me crazy as I couldn't see any "locked" items selected. Eventually it turned out that the checkbox for T5 under investment income was selected (copied from previous year), but this was not visible as the parent item "investment income" was unselected! So to undo this you have to select the checkbox for investment income, unselect the T5 (or whatever) and then deselect investment income again. It's almost as if they want to browbeat you into paying for a higher priced product you don't need ...

Am filling out my wife's return and TT is asking me to update because she is self-employed (I am using Premiere). She has been retired for 4 years. How can I remove that coding from her return?

When you transfer your past year return's information, it brings old information that may alert the software to upgrade. The only way to stop this is to not transfer and bring in the information manually for one year.

TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure that Canadians have access to the features that will help them get the best tax outcome by broadening its product lineup and directing users to the version of TurboTax that aligns with their tax situation. We’ve expanded our lineup and tailored each version of TurboTax to address the complexity of various levels of filers. When you file with TurboTax, you will be directed to the version that best suits your needs based on complexity, to ensure you are getting the best possible tax outcome for the best value.

For more information please see our TurboTax FAQ Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online editio...

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade a TurboTax product once it has been upgraded.  If you are using TurboTax Online, you’ll need to start a new return to change your product. To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Returns” in the top left corner. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Returns” from under “My Accounts & Returns”. Then delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it or “Delete” under the return’s name.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Please tell me why Turbo Tax is making me upgrade to Self Employment pkg when all I need is the premium for both my spouse and I.  

Honestly this seems like it should be basic functionality to have the taxpayer's status confirmed each year even if you are transferring from the prior year. Oh well.

@DRoerick 

If you've entered an amount from any of the boxes on the slips listed below, you have what the CRA says is self-employment or business income:

• T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
  • T4A slip: box 20 or 48
  • T4A slip: box 28 and you selected Yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in TurboTax Online
  • T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)

If you entered an amount in any of these boxes, TurboTax will ask additional questions to report it as business income or to automatically add the info to Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities for you. You might be asked to enter your province of self-employment, business address, industry code, fiscal period, or to complete a self-employment statement.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

It defaulted it to nothing < Select >and asked me to upgrade.  TurboTax  assumed the default Select (choose and option) to YES!!! and made me pay up for the upgrade!!!

I have used Turbo Tax forever.   In 2022 I filed with "Wealthsimple Tax" and liked it.  Easy to navigate.  And it is free.   Checked with Turbo Tax and got the same answer.  https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/tax