Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do I have an error saying Northern Residence deduction is greater than the amount reported on the T4?

The amount that you have entered as my employment benefits for my Northern Residence deduction is greater than the amount reported on my T4 and/or my T4A slip.

7 Replies

What can I do I have an error saying Northern Residence deduction is greater than the amount reported on the T4?

The Northern Residents deduction is made up of three parts. The part that would cause this error is the Travel component.

Check your travel deduction to ensure the amount you've claimed doesn't exceed the amount of your taxable benefit listed on your T4/T4A.

Here's a link for more details on claiming the travel component of the NR deduction: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

tolichny

I too am getting the same error message and my amounts have been triple checked and match box 32 on my T4 as well the amounts all match for travel claims. Not sure why this keeps happening.  I've called Revenue Canada and they have assured me that my entries are correct for reporting.  I do a paper one just to make sure always.

It ALWAYS happens!  The Application does not accommodate Northern Residency Deductions. I would they could FIX this eventually!!!!

It has been doing it to me too, do you just ignore the warning and file anyway?

Are you using the CD/Download version or the Online version?

JPDingle

Same issue with me.

I am using online.

I cannot skip the error because it will not let me net file the return.

While completing the review, warnings can be ignored but errors have to be corrected before you can file, as it may be a contradiction of information, missing information, etc.

There are also other reasons why Netfile will not be allowed. Please see the links below.

Why do I get an error when I try to submit my return through the CRA’s NETFILE service?

Why am I not eligible to file my tax return using NETFILE?

If needed, please contact us on social media so we can help you further. You can find us on Facebook or Twitter.