Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does adjusted cost base mean related to sale of the sale of my principal res? Is it purchase price less the legal fees to sell it and cost of breaking mortgage?

1 Reply

What does adjusted cost base mean related to sale of the sale of my principal res? Is it purchase price less the legal fees to sell it and cost of breaking mortgage?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, 

The adjusted cost base (ACB) is usually the cost of a property plus any expenses to acquire it, such as commissions and legal fees.

You can calculate Capital gain as Proceeds from disposition- Adjusted cost base (ACB- usually the cost of a property plus any expenses to acquire it, such as commissions and legal fees)-Outlays and Expenses (Amounts that you incurred to sell a capital property).  

Outlays and Expenses (Amounts that you incurred to sell a capital property)-The cost of breaking a mortgage would be part of the 'outlays and expenses' when selling a property.

Please visit the article on Reporting the Sale of Your Principal Residence and How do I report the sale of my home (principal residence)?