Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sk88lee

While entering stock transactions in T5008, The system suddenly stop computing the effect of those gain entries. Income summary shows $0 capital gain. Why ?

3 Replies

While entering stock transactions in T5008, The system suddenly stop computing the effect of those gain entries. Income summary shows $0 capital gain. Why ?

This is most likely happening because some of your T5008s are losses and are offsetting the Capital Gains to Zero. Also if you have made any loss entries in the Capital Gains Profile, it could be affecting the bottom line and reducing it to zero. 

sk88lee

That's not the case.  I have a lot of gains.  It started showing that big number in the Balance Owing, but suddenly dropped to nothing while I was editing the T5008 entries.  Subsequent to that, no matter what I put in, to both T5008 and to Investment Capital Gain, it still did not compute.  Your Help desk observed that through the Cobrowser, and concluded that it is a software problem.  Please see case # xxxxxxxxx .

As we've not encountered this problem and have been unable to recreate it in a test, the only solution I can suggest would be: "delete the entries you've made (or imported from CRA) and reenter them". I do understand your frustration and realize this may be a lot of extra inputting but I can't see any other fix for this. (The only other thing I can think of that may cause an issue is if you have used CRA AutoFill and imported more than 30 T5008 slips. You are only able to "edit" 30 of these slips, but these should not cause a loss and reduce your Capital Gains to zero).