Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 5:50:51 PM

Why do I have to pay if I don't have any income?

We were told this was free so why do we have to pay? Plus I have no income just my hubby so why is it asking for us both to pay?

0 7 2152
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 5:50:52 PM

If you are doing a spousal return, both must be paid for.  If you file separately, you might have yours done free.  Your husband will probably have to pay as he will have a spousal amount to claim, and possibly medical and/or other deductions. You can begin two separate returns and input any carry forwards manually.  Then delete the older return.

7 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 5:50:52 PM

If you are doing a spousal return, both must be paid for.  If you file separately, you might have yours done free.  Your husband will probably have to pay as he will have a spousal amount to claim, and possibly medical and/or other deductions. You can begin two separate returns and input any carry forwards manually.  Then delete the older return.

Oct 29, 2019 5:50:53 PM

Now this is stupid, if I have to do the work manually and the fact that I encountered so many errors inputting data because this site really needs better developers, looks like it was outsourced to another country.

Oct 29, 2019 5:50:55 PM

BIGGEST RIP OFF EVER!!!!!

Oct 29, 2019 5:50:56 PM

It does state right on the purchase page, that each return must be paid for.

Oct 29, 2019 5:50:58 PM

So, if I buy the CD version and install on my mac with windows software I can do my spousal return for free?  BUT, if I use online services I pay for both returns?  The first method is a royal pain....the second makes more sense for Mac users but is more expensive.  Why doesn't Turbo Tax make it easier for Mac users to use their products????

Oct 29, 2019 5:50:59 PM

The CD version is also good for 8 returns over $25,000, and twelve more under that amount, so I do four family returns, and four returns for other people who donate to the cause. While I don't think this software should be used in a business environment, it does have the ability to pay for itself.

Oct 29, 2019 5:51:01 PM

I already split the couple as suggested above, and I'm still being charged even though there is only T4 income under $20,000.  What now?