Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to pay if I don't have any income?

We were told this was free so why do we have to pay? Plus I have no income just my hubby so why is it asking for us both to pay?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are doing a spousal return, both must be paid for.  If you file separately, you might have yours done free.  Your husband will probably have to pay as he will have a spousal amount to claim, and possibly medical and/or other deductions. You can begin two separate returns and input any carry forwards manually.  Then delete the older return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you are doing a spousal return, both must be paid for.  If you file separately, you might have yours done free.  Your husband will probably have to pay as he will have a spousal amount to claim, and possibly medical and/or other deductions. You can begin two separate returns and input any carry forwards manually.  Then delete the older return.

Now this is stupid, if I have to do the work manually and the fact that I encountered so many errors inputting data because this site really needs better developers, looks like it was outsourced to another country.

BIGGEST RIP OFF EVER!!!!!

It does state right on the purchase page, that each return must be paid for.
ksmcgachy

So, if I buy the CD version and install on my mac with windows software I can do my spousal return for free?  BUT, if I use online services I pay for both returns?  The first method is a royal pain....the second makes more sense for Mac users but is more expensive.  Why doesn't Turbo Tax make it easier for Mac users to use their products????

The CD version is also good for 8 returns over $25,000, and twelve more under that amount, so I do four family returns, and four returns for other people who donate to the cause. While I don't think this software should be used in a business environment, it does have the ability to pay for itself.

I already split the couple as suggested above, and I'm still being charged even though there is only T4 income under $20,000.  What now?