Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Turbo tax add boxes 23, 32 and 39 on a T3? They are all pertaining to one dividend?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does Turbo tax add boxes 23, 32 and 39 on a T3? They are all pertaining to one dividend?

Yes, all three boxes relate to one dividend.  Box 23 is the actual amount you received, box 32 is the grossed up amount (it is meant to represent the amount before the corporate taxes of the issuer of the dividend) and box 39 is the dividend tax credit.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/120/menu-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/425-eng.html

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Yes, all three boxes relate to one dividend.  Box 23 is the actual amount you received, box 32 is the grossed up amount (it is meant to represent the amount before the corporate taxes of the issuer of the dividend) and box 39 is the dividend tax credit.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/120/menu-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/425-eng.html

. but when it shows the addition of the 3 boxes on the form, for example, for a total of 10K when the actual dividend is 5K its confusing to the user.

Bear in mind that the design of the T slips and the method for reporting dividend income is determined by the government.  It is what it is.  That being said, dividend income is a very favourable source of income, as the tax hit on your personal return is much less than if that income had been received through employment.  If you received $5K in actual dividends reported at box 23, then the amount in box 32 and shown as part of your income on the tax return is $5900.  The amount in box 39 is a dividend tax credit, and for an actual dividend of $5K it would be $650.00 .  This is meant to roughly offset the tax hit, as technically dividend income is paid out of profits of a corporation AFTER the corporate tax has already been paid.

Its TURBOTAX where my concern lies.  The T3 is great, no issues.  The SW (Non eligible dividends) shows a summation of the 3 boxes on the form.  To exasperate the issue, if you had a dividend of 100K, the form would show, as a summation, well over 200K.  This is visually a concern.
smg30t

I can understand Jeffrey's answer, particularly as there was no mention in the original question that it was an issue on the 'SW.'

Its always been a Software (GUI) issue.   I am a GUI expert.  Its misleading to the customer or user of the SW.  It looks like, on the surface, dividends are doubled.  I fully appreciate the value of dividends and have known this for 5 years since I started using them.

Well no, it's a fair question from Dan, and I apologize Dan that I misunderstood what you were asking.  I suspect you are using the desktop software?  If so, I will check when I am next in the office (I use Profile for my own clients, as I am an efiler).  I will see if I can duplicate what Dan sees.

May I confirm, Dan, is it the desktop software you are using, or the online software?

I can send you a screen shot of a Dividend for my spouse.  Its misleading and got me searching for answers for hours.