Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 26, 2024 12:56:46 PM

Why is it more expensive online this year

I have always purchased the $40 package and now this year i am told I HAVE to buy the $70 package

2 14 4034
14 Replies
Jan 26, 2024 1:08:03 PM

Are you trying to buy TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download and which version are you getting? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Jan 26, 2024 1:28:55 PM

I have used TurboTax for at least 5 years and always purchased the entry level package now it says because I have charitable deductions (which I do every year) I HAVE to upgrade to the $70 package. 

Jan 26, 2024 1:43:32 PM

Please check out our TurboTax Online pricing here as you may have been using the TurboTax US instead of Canada.

Level 1
Feb 24, 2024 2:37:16 AM

Exact same thing is happening to me. I paid $45 last year for 2 returns and this time it’s $70 x 2 which is a huge increase- it’s making me do it because of charitable donations which does not make my return complicated.  I don’t understand. 

Feb 24, 2024 11:19:33 AM

@rsutherl1 Do you have rental income on your tax return? Rental income is now only available in TurboTax Self-Employed Online.

Level 1
Feb 24, 2024 1:32:29 PM

Hi,

I have work income, children, RRSP contributions, employment expenses, and charitable donations.  This is the same scenario I've had for the past 15 years and have paid between $35-$45 to file.  Now it's $140 (2 tax returns filed together) plus tax.  It's a huge increase and as a result i don't think I'll use turbo tax going forward. 

Feb 24, 2024 3:11:57 PM

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you. They can look at the returns with you to see what is going on.

Apr 14, 2024 11:16:13 PM

I agree with this thread. I love turbo tax, but the price hike this year was CRAZY. I am not really seeing any explanation for the price hike. Historically, I didn't consider other options, but I am going to start now. 

Apr 15, 2024 10:54:20 AM

If you are doing more than one return you can purchase your TurboTax software from a retailer which because they purchased in bulk is cheaper to purchase from them.  

Purchase TurboTax at a retail store near you

Apr 15, 2024 5:48:12 PM

Ya they lost me as a customer as well. Literally any other option is cheaper. We just have to deal with it being less user friendly. It’s nothing to do with what you clicked or how u filed. They are just money hungry. Just forked over 176$ to file my taxes. Absolutely absurd. Would be cheaper for me to just have someone else file for me. 8 years of paying these guys and now I’m officially done. 

Level 1
Apr 15, 2024 5:58:11 PM

I'm in the military and can file for free since my husband has a lawn business. I had to pay $202.03 this year last year; I only paid $139. I've been using TurboTax since 2016. You would think there would be some kind of discount. I'm paying more to file my taxes than I actually get back. This is terrible. 

Apr 16, 2024 7:57:33 AM

You have reached the Canadian side of TurboTax- Please go to the US side of the TurboTax Community to ask for a discount. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax & for your service. 🙂 

May 1, 2024 6:31:21 PM

I used to pay $40 online per person, because I had to buy the Premium to report some small rental income. Now it is asking $130 per couple? No way, a complete scam. I am moving to H&R Block which charges $70 per couple and it is a very comparable software, some people have told me it is even better.

May 2, 2024 8:07:48 AM

You can purchase TurboTax software at a local retailer near you for a better price.