Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
van2288go

Would like to do a married return, and separate return to see the difference. How do I do this, but only pay for the one return I will eventually file.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Would like to do a married return, and separate return to see the difference. How do I do this, but only pay for the one return I will eventually file.

Hello,

Preparing your returns at the same time lets TurboTax optimize credits and deductions between you and your spouse/partner. We recommend that you prepare your returns together because the combined outcome will always be the same or better than if you had prepared your returns separately.

However, if you'd like to see the difference you can do this:

In TurboTax Online, go to the Tools icon at the top of the screen, click Return Manager, and then click Create a New Return. This allows you to start a new return.

You can do this to start an individual return for your spouse, an individual return for yourself, and then a joint return. Each time you do this, you may want to go back to the Return Manager and Rename the return to easily identify which is which.

It's at the very end of the return before you file that you'll be asked to enter your payment information. 

Here's some additional guidance on filing separately or together: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/turbotax/en-ca/faqs/File-married-return-together-or-separate/INF1...

Please post back if you have any other questions.
Jacquelyn

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hello,

Preparing your returns at the same time lets TurboTax optimize credits and deductions between you and your spouse/partner. We recommend that you prepare your returns together because the combined outcome will always be the same or better than if you had prepared your returns separately.

However, if you'd like to see the difference you can do this:

In TurboTax Online, go to the Tools icon at the top of the screen, click Return Manager, and then click Create a New Return. This allows you to start a new return.

You can do this to start an individual return for your spouse, an individual return for yourself, and then a joint return. Each time you do this, you may want to go back to the Return Manager and Rename the return to easily identify which is which.

It's at the very end of the return before you file that you'll be asked to enter your payment information. 

Here's some additional guidance on filing separately or together: https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/turbotax/en-ca/faqs/File-married-return-together-or-separate/INF1...

Please post back if you have any other questions.
Jacquelyn