Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You are asking for payment but im under 25 and didnt use expert services should not be a charge

11 Replies

You are asking for payment but im under 25 and didnt use expert services should not be a charge

There is a charge of $15 this year, if you are under 25 and have more than just a basic return then there will be a charge of $15 - the good news is that even if you upgrade the upgrades don't cost anymore than your original $15.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

na_9

Not the original poster, but the only difference from the free return I filed last year is that I'm claiming FHSA benefits. Does that make it "no longer a basic return"?

@na_9 FHSA contributions are treated like RRSP contributions, which are included in the free version.

na_9

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. The only non-default elements I'm claiming are RRSP and FHSA deductions, and some charitable donations. The FHSA is the only difference from last year, when I filed for free.

To clarify my own situation, see the below screenshots. The first shows all of the details I'm claiming; the second is the following screen, which doesn't seem to allow me an option not to choose the $15 option.

screenshot2.PNG
screenshot1.PNG

@na_9 Charitable Deductions are not included in the Free version. Also, last year we had a promotion that made TurboTax Online free for anyone 25 and under, but this year there is a discount instead. So if even if you had self-employment income, TurboTax Online would have been Free last year.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information on who can use Free:

Who can file for free using TurboTax?

na_9

Thank you for the info.

I removed the Charitable Donations from my return, so the first page now looks like this:screenshot3.PNG

However, the next page still seems to force me to choose the $15 Deluxe option, with no options but "Continue" or "Back". Is there anything else I'm still missing?

Click the back button and then skip over the donations page by selecting something from the left side menu.

na_9

It was too early in the return to navigate via the left side menu, but starting a new return from scratch and saying no charitable donations fixed the issue. Thanks for the help!

hi, 

I am under 25 and got charged $100! my brother is under 25 as well as it is not coming up as $15 when we go to pay.