Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enter any data into forms?

Late getting taxes done this year and I discover that I cannot enter any data into any forms. 

Turbox Tax is up to date. Easystep does work,  but I'd much rather use forms. Rebooting hasn't helped.  Uninstalling/reinstalling hasn't helped. 

Any ideas? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You should be able to enter any data into the forms that is not in a calculated cell.  If you double click on those, it will take you to where it can be entered.  If the numbers are blue, it has been calculated and cannot be changed.  If the numbers are green, the input is done on a different screen and you will need to double-click to get there.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

You should be able to enter any data into the forms that is not in a calculated cell.  If you double click on those, it will take you to where it can be entered.  If the numbers are blue, it has been calculated and cannot be changed.  If the numbers are green, the input is done on a different screen and you will need to double-click to get there.

Thank you for the follow up. I understand that I cannot edit calculated cells.  The problem is I can't enter data into any of the fields.  Data entered via EasyStep does show up in the forms view, but again I can't edit it.  Specifically what happens when I edit a field in a form is that, whatever I type, nothing shows in the field and it appears that only the contents of drop downs are saved.

What form are you trying to fill?  I have the installed Standard version.  Nearly all of the T2125 is fillable except for CCA which is calculated and any personal use part which is calculated.  The business use of home portion is calculated but is based upon directly filled cells.  It is the same with the T776. Schedule 1, however, is almost if not all, filled by other ares of the return or calculated cells.  Much of this type of software is specifically geared towards those without the knowledge or ability to fill the tax return without errors.

You can fill all of the forms you require from the CRA website, but it is truly manual and does not perform the mathematical calculations you require.

Just trying to fill in T4s.

Yes, it isn't the same as filling in an actual T4 slip, but neither is the professional grade software.  You would have to double click on line 101 in the T1 general form to bring up an entry screen if working from the form.  It could be also, since I haven't used the Basic version, that there is a considerable difference in how it is set up for data entry.

Obviously I'm not explaining myself well enough.  I can bring up the T4 form either from the Forms button, or by as you suggest double clicking on line 101, but nothing I type in the T4 form itself shows up.
rhino2

I recall seeing something to the effect that TT Basic does not support Forms Method for data entry, but I am unable to find that reference now. The closest thing I did find was the product comparison chart, which has "Includes government approved forms" checked for Standard and above. There is no mention of Forms Method one way or the other in any of the individual product descriptions.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/download-tax-software.jsp

Well that makes sense based on what I'm seeing, but what an appalling way to differentiate their software versions.  Thanks.
rhino2

To be fair, the Basic version sells for $9.99, so I can understand its lack of features. What I find appalling is the lack of product information available before you buy. You should know what you're getting (or not getting), whatever the price. Intuit ain't what it used to be.

Caveat emptor.