Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer from online to desktop

Prior to 2020 I always used the cd/download version of turbotax.  In 2020 I used the online version.  In 2021 I bought the cd/download version.

How can I get the 2021 version to import data from the 2020 online version.

Alternatively, how can I export my online 2020 return data so that the 2021 cd/download version can read it.

17 Replies

Unfortunately, you can’t transfer information from TurboTax Online into TurboTax CD/Download.

Thanks.  Not the answer I wanted to hear but I can stop searching for a way to do that.  Seems quite odd that they would revoke a feature in 2019 that they had previously.

This feature was not available in 2019 either. TurboTax Online has no way of saving to the .ttxx file format. TurboTax CD/Download can only import or open .ttxx files.

Wow.  This is very poor design and extremely frustrating!

I have exactly the same issue you have described.  Used Turbo tax for 10 plus years.  Bought by mistake the on line version from Costco last year.  This year back to the CD version.  Can't believe Turbo Tax cannot provide a method to transfer my 2020 information from the on line system to the 2021 CD versions.  Very poor customer support.

jgil1

Exactly my issue as well. Very poor design and service. If I have to re-enter, I may switch tax services altogether.

I have the same situation and I am not happy at all about having to put all my information in this year. There should be a warning on the download version.

This seriously sucks!  I also made the mistake of buying the online version last year, and now all my carryforward info has to be entered manually.  What a freaking waste of my time.  So unhappy with this product!

This is a seriously bad flaw in the program.  I have used TurboTax (or its predecesor) for almost 30 years now.  I had some issue last year with some functionality in the online version (not the least of which was having to pay $20 for every return even for a child and a senior with no taxable income) which the advisor told me was not an issue in the CD version.  I purchased this version for 2021 only to find that I have to start over - and I have significant carry forward calculations built up in previous versions.  I am not happy at all.