Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 31, 2019 3:23:09 AM

I cannot transfer 45% of income tax paid from federal to Quebec. Why?

I have done this for the last 25 years and this year, it does not allow me.

1 15 3133
15 Replies
Oct 31, 2019 3:23:12 AM

I am having the same problem. I have entered the information correctly yet the program does not allow me to perform the transfer ...

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:13 AM

I was able to go directly into the T1 and make the change in the line for transfer. It worked!

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:14 AM

Same issue here. I tried the same as Elaine, went directly to the forms and manually entered. This worked to proceed with the 'interview', but then when I was all done my taxes, it showed as an error when trying to file and would not let me NETFILE. Is there a way to get the system to show the eligible transfer amount in Easy Forms, so that the transfer is recognized?

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:16 AM

I tried to add it directly into the T1 form but when going back to the easy step process to continue it wouldn't work. It states that the amount is greater than 45% of the amount indicated. Even if I put in $1 I get the same statement that it is greater than 45%! In previous years, when I get to this point in the easy step process the total income tax deducted amount is indicated in a box with the 45% transfer amount to be inputted below it. IN this 2018 version, there is no income tax amount indicated ... just a grey table indicated "slip" and "amount". My father-in-law is having the same issue.

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:17 AM

I am having the same problem.  Has anyone contacted TurboTax to inform them of this bug? It's a significant issue.

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:19 AM

They have been contacted and apparently are working on a fix. Meanwhile the deadline to file approaches.

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:20 AM

I ended up bypassing this issue bu entering the 45% transfer amount directly on line 438 in the federal form (which is then automatically entered on line 454 of the Quebec form) then I skipped the easy step part of the 45% transfer going directly to the tax shield step. It seemed to work this way and I was able to file without any errors.

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:22 AM

How did you enter the amount directly on line 438? I tried in the T4 and it won't let me, i can't even click on the line. Is there somewhere else beside the T4 you can access line 438? Thanks

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:23 AM

Did you unselect the interview question in easy step to get this to work?

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:24 AM

No I didn't unselect the interview question but will try tonight. Will give the slip download a shot if that doesn't work. Thanks

Oct 31, 2019 3:23:26 AM

I never tried unselecting the easy step question after trying to manually enter the amount directly on line 438 of my T1...hmmm, maybe that would have worked.

But as an alternative, although not sure if this is a solution that would work for any one else, but what has finally worked for me was to use the CRA and Revenu Quebec (RQ) download of my tax slips. I only submit this in case it works for anyone else?

...Originally, I had manually input my T4 and then entered the R1 info so that it linked to the T4 on the same line (Note that the R1 I receive every year is blank other than for my benefits, so I have a number of edits to make in the linked R1). In the past, the software always allowed this approach. However that was not the case for me this year, as I kept getting blocked from doing the 45% transfer transfer. The page always showed the generic text "slip" and "amount" where the actual tax deduction data should have been. I even restarted my taxes a number of times and reinstalled software in case there was a glitch...

WHAT FINALLY WORKED:

Ultimately, as stated above, I finally got the transfer screen to load properly. Every step and entry made was identical through the entire process, except this time the only difference was that I used the downloads of my slips from CRA and RQ to populate my T4 and R1 data into turbotax.

Essentially the download created 2 lines of T4/R1 slip entries this time instead of the single line created when doing it manually:
-1st Line, the T4 that matched my paper copy received and the system generated associated R1 with many entries auto-generated.
-2nd Line, the download created a blank T4, and then an associated R1 with data that exactly matched my paper R1 (i.e. only showing my benefits).

In this case, I did not touch anything from the auto generated R1. I am now thinking that it is acting as a place holder I believe that the system apparently requires to have everything balance out?
I do not know if there is a manual way to create the BLANK T4 and then add my matching R1. I tried finding this in my earlier attempts, but it never worked for me.

What gave me confidence was that my tax return numbers for my balance stayed the same using this new approach and when I got to the tax transfer for Quebec residents this time, the eligible amount of income tax deducted was populated. I was able to calculate AND enter my 45% transfer successfully.

I wish you all good luck.

Returning Member
Mar 7, 2021 3:07:22 PM

After a call with support I was able to get it to work.

In my case, we are pension splitting my husband`s pension.  Line 43800 would not allow any value, only zero would work.  Support asked me to increase the font size a few times (yes the Text Size!!)  from the blue ribbon on top of the screen.  That did the trick.

Mar 11, 2021 6:57:08 AM

Happy to see the problem was cleared. Thank you for informing us.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

Mar 1, 2023 7:15:03 AM

This is occurring for me as well. Does anyone know what the fix is??? I enter my income tax paid and it changes absolutely nothing.

Level 15
Mar 8, 2023 5:56:13 PM

This is how to transfer your 45% federal to Quebec.

Once you have entered your T slips and continue - You will get to "Provincial" from there you will look down and click on "Your other Quebec credits profile.  Once that opens you will check off the box that says "Tax transfer for residents of Quebec who earned income in another province and from which the federal tax was deducted." Continue The next page shows an amount under T4 Slip Statement of Remuneration Paid.  That specific amount if entered in the box provided beside Amount "your name" wishes to transfer - continue and you will then see the 45% entered automatically for you.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.