Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esrmay

I keep getting asked how much of my tuition i want to transfer to a spouse or parent but i don't want to transfer any i put zero, is that correct

3 Replies

I keep getting asked how much of my tuition i want to transfer to a spouse or parent but i don't want to transfer any i put zero, is that correct

If you don't want to transfer anything, then yes you can enter zero.

You can uncheck the option to transfer by using the “Find” tool (magnifying glass) to search for “students”. Select “Students” and then click the “Go” button. There you can uncheck “Transfer of tuition and education to a spouse, parent or grandparent”, and then click the “Continue” button to save your changes.

harryd369

I unchecked it and it still says "

Because your return includes tuition transfer, you need to upgrade before we can file"

I don not want to upgrade!!! help

@harryd369 Unchecking the box doesn't delete the info that you entered. Also, if TurboTax has already upgraded, there's no way to downgrade. You would need to create a new return to go back to the original product. 

To start a new return, select “Start a New Return” from under “My Returns” in the top left corner. Once you have started your new return, you can select “View All Returns” from under “My Accounts & Returns”. Then delete the unwanted return by clicking the small Trash Can next to it or “Delete” under the return’s name.