Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nachofergie
Returning Member

I'm not able to transfer data from a previous year

I created a 2020 return but did not file it. I now want to create a 2021 return using the data I entered in the 2020 return (several properties, CCA, a small business as well as other personal data). I followed the instructions in a Support answer that I found (go to website, sign in, start a new return, select a TurboTax Online product, select TurboTax Online as my method for doing my taxes last year... But that's as far as I got. The Support answer suggests the next page should be the "Hello again! We're so glad you're back" screen but instead I'm directed to the "Welcome to TurboTax Self-Employed!" screen and am being asked to complete the very information I'd entered in my 2020 return.

Is it not letting me transfer my 2020 data because I didn't actually file my 2020 return? Or is there another reason perhaps?

Thanks!

1 Reply

I'm not able to transfer data from a previous year

Please make sure that when you are starting your 2021 return that you are logged into the same account where you created your 2020 return.

Also, you need to have either downloaded/printed your return or filed your return using NETFILE to be able to transfer it into next year’s return. This means you would have to pay for the return. This TurboTax FAQ tells you how to save/print a copy of your tax return in TurboTax Online: How do I print/save a copy of my tax return (Online version)?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using TurboTax.