Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I put in tuition to carry forward for my daughter but it won't allow me to transfer it to the parent

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I put in tuition to carry forward for my daughter but it won't allow me to transfer it to the parent

Only current year tuition can be transferred to a parent. Once the tuition is carried forward, it can no longer be transferred. If you transferred the max last year, you had the max benefit. The remainder is hers to use when she has income to claim it against. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Only current year tuition can be transferred to a parent. Once the tuition is carried forward, it can no longer be transferred. If you transferred the max last year, you had the max benefit. The remainder is hers to use when she has income to claim it against. 

Based on this assessment, you have unused federal and Ontario tuition and education amounts of $2,058 and $774. You can carry forward these amounts to later years. Does this mean I can't claim this anymore on my taxes as her parent

Exactly.

Thank you.