Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mackbig
Returning Member

Can you import TT19 into 2020 online

Can you import TT19 file created in PC CD version last year into TurboTax online 2020 version to carry forward information to do your 2020 taxes.

2 Replies

Yes, you can. When you start a new return in TurboTax Online, if you don’t choose a TurboTax Online file to carry-forward, then you’ll be asked “How did you do your taxes last year”. Choose TurboTax CD/Download and then select Continue. You’ll get a screen where you can choose a TurboTax CD/Download from your desktop.

FYI: this feature is only available in paid versions of TurboTax Online, so you will not see this option if you start a Free return.

mackbig
Returning Member

Thanks Susan.

Is this a new'ish feature?  There are several old posts with varying answers about importing.  Some saying you cant, some saying you need the .tax file that is created right before netfile, and some that even talk about importing the pdf, which makes no sense.

I will grab next time I am at Costco.  First year doing taxes without a windows pc in the house to install the full version on.  My home winPC died a few months ago, and none of my work windows PC's allow install, so using one of my Macs and online.