Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been doing my children's taxes for years. This year, they will be opening their own TurboTax accounts. How can they import their info from prior years?

5 Replies

I have been doing my children's taxes for years. This year, they will be opening their own TurboTax accounts. How can they import their info from prior years?

It depends on which version of TurboTax you’ve been using. If you have been doing their taxes with TurboTax CD/Download, you can just give your children their return files. They can use the files to import their 2019 info into any version of TurboTax CD/Download 2020 or a paid version of TurboTax Online 2020.

If you’ve used TurboTax Online in the past, then unfortunately, the returns are permanently tied to your account. They can’t be moved or transferred into other accounts. You can still give them PDF copies of their finished returns for their reference. This FAQ tells you how to save/print a copy of your tax return in TurboTax Online: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-return-print-save/help/in-the-online-edition-of-t...

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.  I have been using Online.  So, that's a good lesson for everyone to encourage their kids, even as teenagers, to login with their own accounts before their carryforwards get too complicated.  Something that should be highlighted by Intuit, I'd say.

Thank you for your feedback. We agree with you and will see to it that this recommendation is passed on.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

I have always used the CD/Download so, based on this response, I will continue to do so because at some point these adults will give their old man a break. Like maybe when they finish their PhDs 🙂

Thanks for asking the question.

Coopjar

I have this same issue. My children are now old enough to do their own taxes but they still have to log into the same (my) account. I would love to be able to separate them and allow them to have their own accounts but don't want to lose all the information.