Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should my (self-employed) spouse still owe provincial income tax, when he has unused tuition provincial tax credits that are available to transfer to me?

He has student amounts from previous years, but still owes tax. Turbotax makes it possible for him to transfer these amounts to me, but I understood that he had to use all the credits himself to take his tax owing to zero before he would be able to transfer any credits to a spouse. The amount owing is CPP, in case that is why....
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should my (self-employed) spouse still owe provincial income tax, when he has unused tuition provincial tax credits that are available to transfer to me?

You are correct about the CPP. If your spouse has Canada Pension Plan premiums due, tuition credits cannot be used to offset these premiums.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are correct about the CPP. If your spouse has Canada Pension Plan premiums due, tuition credits cannot be used to offset these premiums.