Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Margie3

T2201-disability amt transfer previously claimed by my father. Need to transfer this claim to myself. How do we do that?

My father has been listed on my mother's T2201 as recipient for disability amount transfer.  Neither parent pays taxes (income too low) and cannot use the credit.  Now they both live with my wife and I and we help support them.  How do we change who can claim the disability amount transfer?  Do we need to do a whole new T2201?  She is considered permanently disability and would not necessary have to do a new form.  We just want to change who can claim the transfer (ie: from my father to myself).

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

T2201-disability amt transfer previously claimed by my father. Need to transfer this claim to myself. How do we do that?

No need for a new T2201 to be approved. You can change the recipient of the transfer to you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No need for a new T2201 to be approved. You can change the recipient of the transfer to you.

michellev

how do I transfer the disability from my parents to myself? they now live with me and I am taking care of them.  They are fully disabled and have low income.

@michellev

Please review the links included below for guidance with transferring a disability amount:

Is the Disability Tax Credit transferrable from a dependant?

How do I claim the disability tax credit transferred from my dependant?

heidiho13

It says on your site:

"To transfer the DTC, the transferee’s name (i.e. yours), must appear on the dependant person’s DTC certificate. The certificate must have been completed and certified by a medical professional and approved by the CRA. The DTC application process is set out on the CRA website."

So without filling out a new T2201, where do we find how to adjust the transferee's name on the original form?
heidiho13

So just send in my tax return and the dtc will come to me even though I'm not the original designator/transferee? Your program states the transferee (me) HAS to be the same on the original filed DTC, but I am not...