Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have unused tuition amounts from the current year that says are available to carry forward but it says i have $0 to transfer - why?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have unused tuition amounts from the current year that says are available to carry forward but it says i have $0 to transfer - why?

The formula to determine the transferable amount is $5000 minus the amount of tuition credits you've used on your return. If you have used more than $5000, you won't be able to transfer any federal tuition credits (regardless of how much you have unused).

To view the calculation, download the PDF copy of your return and look at the Schedule 11. The transferable amount calculation is near the bottom.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The formula to determine the transferable amount is $5000 minus the amount of tuition credits you've used on your return. If you have used more than $5000, you won't be able to transfer any federal tuition credits (regardless of how much you have unused).

To view the calculation, download the PDF copy of your return and look at the Schedule 11. The transferable amount calculation is near the bottom.